Hoyas Go for a Pre-Turkey Day Hike in the Marin Headlands
Want to get out and stretch those legs and work off some extra calories before Thanksgiving? Want to see the beautiful headlands with your fellow Hoyas? Join the Georgetown Club of Northern California on a hike on Saturday, November for a family and pet friendly hike in the Marin headlands (details of hike below). The plan is for an approximately 4.5 mile loop through the headlands on the famous Coastal and Miwok trails. The hike itself should last about 2.5 hours of hiking time and we are planning on taking a 1/2 hour picnic lunch break. An e-mail with the cell phone numbers of the trip leaders along with a weather contingency plan will be sent to all the RSVPs prior to the hike. Looking forward to seeing all the fellow Hoyas in the great outdoors!
Take Old Bunker Road up to the Coastal Trail. Then onto the Wolf’s ridge trail to the Miwok trail. Then take Miwok trail back down to the Lagoon trail and back to the parking lot. Round trip @ 4.5 miles. We are doing a slightly shorter version of the trail described in this link that avoids the damaged coastal trail section and will start out as an easier warm up going up the paved Old Bunker Road. http://bahiker.com/northbayhikes/rodeobeach.html
A Few Thoughts / What to Bring
- This hike, while not exceptionally strenuous, does have a significant amount of ascending and descending, please be prepared and know your limits.
- The trail is in good condition but be sure to wear appropriate footwear (i.e. sneakers / hiking boots, NO flip flops)
- The weather can change rapidly in the headlands and a sunny day can turn cold and foggy very quickly. Dress in layers, avoid cotton, and bring extra clothes
- Plan on bringing a picnic lunch and plenty of water.
- Children are absolutely welcome but be sure they are up for a full 3 hour adventure
- Dogs are welcome too but per Golden Gate National Park Rules they need to be on leash at all times
- E-mail any questions or concerns, we'd prefer to address anything prior to getting on the trail.
Meet at the Old Bunker Road Gate at 10:30 AM on Saturday, November 21st. There is a parking lot near the Marine Mammal Center at Fort Cronkite. See map below.
Map / Directions
Check out Transit 511.org for MUNI 76 Service on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays
We MAY try to arrange some carpooling depending on need once we have our attendance list via Eventbrite.